I’m in Las Vegas learning and sharing with colleagues, and let’s just say I’m feeling lucky… not just in the Sports Book, but because of the valuable information and face time we will get this week. This is the time of year we all get a good status check and go over trends in the industry. Serious meetings – with a little fun sprinkled in. 😉
Naturally I was reflecting on the plane about the “gamble” of going solar. Is it a safe bet? What is the risk/reward trade off?
If I head down to the Casino and drop $100 on red, there is a 52.63% chance that I’m walking away with nothing and a 47.37% chance I’m heading home with $200 stuffed in my wallet (much less after taxes).
There are lots of solar energy options out there, but the odds on most are extraordinary. For example, a solar pool heater is 100% sure to heat your pool. Every single day of the year, your pool will be warmer than an unheated pool, with no additional cost, providing years of enjoyment. There is essentially no risk. As long as you have a suitable place to put panels, the only question you have to ask is whether you want it or not. It’s not a “gamble.”
Solar electric panels will provide electricity to your home every day, some days more than others, but within a reasonably predictable range over the long run. If you expect the sun to continue to rise for the next 40 or so years, it’s a pretty good bet! Unlike securities investments, and Roulette for that matter, there is virtually no chance that your bet will not pay out.
Does that mean I won’t set foot in the Casino this week? Too late for that! I consider it entertainment – a totally unsecured bet. When I get home, win or lose, I can look up at my solar panels and bask in the glow of the safest bet I’ve ever made.