Pentair has released a new solar pool heating controller called the SolarTouch. This great controller fills a gap between a simple analog solar controller and the Pentair SunTouch pool automation system.
A simple analog solar controller uses a dial and an on-off-auto switch to control the operation of a solar pool heating system. The SunTouch is a digital controller that has advance pool heating control for a pool/spa combination and with multiple heating sources (solar and auxiliary heater). It can also control additional relays for features and lighting and has an optional remote control.
The SolarTouch does everything that the analog controller does except it has precise control with a digital readout. It can also control Pentair’s Variable Speed and Variable Flow IntelliPro pumps. That means you can increase the pump speed when solar pool heating is required and drop the speed back down to normal filtration speed when no solar heating is required or available.
Our first SolarTouch controllers will be installed soon and I will report back with the verdict. I am quite certain that this will become our “go-to” controller, particularly because of the attractive price, digital control, and ability to control a variable speed pump.
Here is the marketing information from Pentair and a SolarTouch Brochure:
Announcing the new SolarTouch™ swimming pool solar controller, which offers full digital control for the most precise, efficient swimming pool heating possible!
Now pool owners can control their pool temperature with the touch of a button. Just set the digital thermostat and SolarTouch will monitor the temperature of the pool water and solar collectors. SolarTouch also integrates with IntelliFlo® and IntelliPro® Variable Speed Pumps, so customers can enjoy unparalleled efficiency, unbeatable digital precision and ease of use. SolarTouch is the smart, easy, efficient way to go solar.
SolarTouch features include:
- Digital calibration of water and solar temperature sensors allow more precise measuring. Temperature control can be set in one degree increments.
- Digital touch controls eliminate the imprecise settings and moving parts of mechanical dials.
- Customers can set their pool temperature and solar temperature differentials with the touch of a button.
- Solar valve automatically drains the solar collectors when the pump shuts off. Durable PTFE seal is maintenance-free for years of dependable service.
- Savings up to $1,500 on your energy bills when you combine SolarTouch with an IntelliFlo® or IntelliPro® Variable Speed Pump.
- LCD display gives sharp, clear readings of air and solar collector temperatures.
- LED indicator lights confirm that SolarTouch automation is working. Service indicator LED indicates when attention is needed.
- Motorized valve actuator is built to last with sturdy steel gears, a highly efficient low-voltage motor, service switch for flow direction and a weatherproof composite enclosure.
- Includes nocturnal cooling and recirculation freeze protection, with filter-pump timer override. 3-year warranty.